Cory S. Hartsfield
- +1.817.552.7742 Phone
- +1.817.328-2942 Fax
Cory S. Hartsfield
Mr. Hartsfield’s practice primarily consists of counseling clients and representing employers and executive employees in a wide variety of state and federal labor and employment law matters, including disputes and claims arising under the Fair Labor Standards Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1991, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the anti-retaliation provisions of the Texas Workers’ Compensation Act and other state and federal labor and employment statutes. Mr. Hartsfield has served as Associate General Counsel to the Tarrant County Hospital District d/b/a JPS Health Network since 2008.
Mr. Hartsfield has experience in advising employers and businesses on various employment issues, such as hiring and disciplining employees, compensation, management training, employment handbooks, employment contracts, independent contractor agreements, reductions in force, covenants not-to-compete and the protection of confidential and proprietary information. Mr. Hartsfield has also represented clients in commercial litigation and has handled a variety of civil appellate matters.
Mr. Hartsfield’s other primary field of practice is in education law. In conjunction with this firm’s role as General Counsel to the Texas Association of School Administrators (“TASA”), Mr. Hartsfield represents school administrators (primarily school superintendents) in all aspects of education and employment law. Mr. Hartsfield has significant experience conducting independent investigations for school districts and is a frequent author and speaker for the Texas Association of School Administrators (TASA) regarding Education Law related topics.
Mr. Hartsfield is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the Tarrant County Bar Association, the Labor and Employment and School Law sections of the Tarrant County Bar Association and the Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association. Mr. Hartsfield also serves as a director on the Grapevine/Colleyville ISD Education Foundation. Mr. Hartsfield was named by 360 West Magazine as a 2017 Top Attorney in Tarrant County for Education Law.
Areas of Practice
- Education/School Law (Public, Charter and Private Schools and Colleges and Universities)
- Employment Law (Private and Public Sector)(Employer/Employee Rights, Employment Discrimination, Wrongful Termination, Sexual Harassment, Wage and Hour, Personnel Policies and Training, Litigation)
- Employment Contracts (Executive Severance, Confidentiality, Covenants Not to Compete)
- Healthcare Law (Hospital Peer Review, Medical Staff Credentialing, Contracts, Nursing, Public Health, Physician Contracts, HIPAA, Health Information Technology, Compliance)
- Governmental Law (Contracts, Public Officials, County Government and Local Government)
- Church, Religious and Non-profit Law
Professional Activities and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas (Member, School Law Section; Labor and Employment Law Section; Health Law Section)
- American Health Lawyer’s Association
- Pepperdine University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2001
- Texas Tech University, B.A., 1997
- State Bar of California (2001) (inactive status)
- State Bar of Texas (2003)
- Trial and appellate courts of the State of California
- Trial and appellate courts of the State of Texas
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Director, Grapevine-Colleyville Education Foundation
- 121 Community Church